Learning About Types and Respective Patterns, Sizes and Costs
Characteristically, ceramic tiles are said to be one of the most cost-effective types of tiles. They cost lower than the natural stone that some of you would prefer installed in the walls and floors of your bathrooms and kitchens. Both are highly competitive materials in the market and are favoured by different sets of clients. In this instance though, you are encouraged to learn about ceramic tiles.
Ceramic tiles are formed from heating a material known as bisque where the clay is placed. The desired output will then be shaped out of the process. Aside from clay though, there are other materials that make up ceramic tiles. Each type is moulded before it undergoes drying. Usually, you may choose from glazed or unglazed ceramic tiles.
Types of ceramic tiles and its corresponding patterns, sizes and costs
Glazed ceramic tiles are popular choices in the market because they have the capacity to bring shine to the tile output. Its popularity spreads in the entire world. Aside from giving recognition to this type of ceramic tile, there are other ceramic tiles that need ample cognisance. Here is a list of the subcategories for this tile type:
- Stoneware floor tiles. These ceramic tiles deviated from the usual porous characteristics in this tile category. It appears to be non-porous because it is glazed. The size for these ceramic tiles range in between 10 cm by 10 cm to 60 cm by 60 cm. This floor tile is recognised as ceramic flooring in itself. It comes out of a dust-pressed moulding and is favoured because of its shallow-angled cut. Rectangular patterns are also out in the market. It has low to medium water absorption though. This tile costs around £3.35 to £5.95 per square foot.
- Porcelain stoneware. Belonging to the classes of ceramic tiles, porcelain stoneware is non-porous and is usually unglazed. You will not be able to see the grain on this material with your own naked eye. It is non-slippery and may also have a presentable decorative appearance. This floor tile is available in sizes ranging from 15 cm by 15 cm to 60 by 60 cm. The most common marketed pattern for these ceramic tiles is the square but rectangular counterparts are also available. These may be bought for a price in between £.93 to £3.11 per square foot.
- Catalonian floor tiles. These ceramic tiles made a name in the tile industry because of its capability to absorb water. They are moulded through the extrusion process and are often unglazed like the porcelain stoneware. Sizes for these ceramic tiles range from 13 cm by 13 cm to 24 cm by 40 cm. With this, you will see that square and rectangular patterns are available for these ceramic tiles. Apart from such shapes however, you may be able to have hexagonal, oblongs, octagons and curvilinear shapes for the Catalonian floor tiles. These are popular choices used in terraces of Mediterranean edifices as well as kitchen benches in other environments. This type of tile is quite costly at £15.53 for a square foot.
- Rustic stoneware tiles. These ceramic tiles are available in sizes ranging from 11.5 cm by 11.5 cm to 45 cm by 45 cm. Rustic stoneware is an unglazed tile extracted through the process of extrusion moulding. Whilst squares and rectangles are popular patterns for this class of ceramic tiles, you may also order, octagonal, hexagonal and a wide array of complementary tiles. Versatile as it is, these tiles are often seen in facades of buildings or even homes as well as exterior paving and industrial floors. The rustic stoneware is priced at around £15.60 a square foot.
- Earthenware tiles. Unlike the other types of ceramic tiles, the earthenware is made out of creative hands. Production of these materials is lower than the other types. Sizes range in a wide variety thus producing numerous patterns for you to choose from. The irregularities in the shape of these ceramic tiles are favourable in the sense that it provides a better look to the areas where it is used. To add functionality and lustre to the appearance of earthenware tiles, some treatments of the surface may be needed. This is to conceal the grains that may be perceived by the naked eye. You can have a set of earthenware tiles for approximately £15.80 a square foot.
The choice is yours to make when it comes to ceramic tiles. With all the features and costing presented, it is easier to pick one for that home or building renovation of yours. You always need to give high regard on how well it will look on your floor or walls. Much more than that, you need to make sure that you get the best out of your investment. This is considered as your key to taking advantage of your purchase of ceramic tiles.
If you found this page useful please click the +1 button below to tell Google that its a great page!
Please share this page with others, and leave a comment, we value all feedback!
Was this page useful? Do you have something to add? Do you disagree?
If your comments meet our guidelines then we will publish them (you do not need to register!)
Ttradesman - click here to join our network to receive leads from customers in your area