Maintaining Your Hardwood Flooring
People are choosing hardwood floors more and more as an option for their home. The advantages are that they are very attractive and add a touch of class but they are often expensive to install.
In addition, to keep them looking at their best they do require special cleaning and care. A few tips for you to follow regarding cleaning and care of your hardwood flooring:
* Only use a brush or broom with soft bristles when you are sweeping the flooring
* Make sure that your vacuum cleaner has the brush attachment on. You don't want to scratch the hardwood surface with the vacuum.
* Make a point of immediately cleaning up any spillages using a soft towel. Then dry it quickly. Water is an enemy of hardwood floors.
* If your hardwood flooring is covered with polyurethane, use a very dry damp mop for cleaning.
* Use carpet runners in areas where there is a lot of traffic.
* Be sure to clean the runners as often as possible so that the dirt doesn't seep into the hardwood flooring and spoil the look.
* If you wax your floors, check with the manufacturer to ensure you are using a wax polish that does not harm the surface. There are so many varieties of wood; you want to be certain you are using the correct product.
Hardwood floors are unique; generating warmth and beauty. If you happen to notice a stain on the wood, here is an additional tip which may help.
Take some sand paper to remove one or two layers of finish along the entire length of the hardwood board where you spotted the stain. Remove all dust, and apply the same type of finish that was removed. Be careful not to add more layers.
Many people agree that hardwood flooring is so inviting when entering a strange home. Its classic appearance with many textures give a certain charm and elegance to any property.
Lorraine Smith runs an information web site that provides free advice and examples of completed kitchens.
Visit her site to discover more ideas and free tips on www.freekitchenideas.com.
- Virginia Louise