About the calculator
The estimate it will give you assumes its a pretty simple decorating job, so it won’t take hours of sanding down or half-a-day moving furniture. The room is clear the surfaces pretty good and paints and everything is ready to go.
Assumptions in calculating decorating costs:
Our figures are calculated from a mixture of personal experience, a lot of user submitted information and private research, but we still have to make some assumptions.
- Quantities of paint are rounded up to the nearest litre e.g. 0.2 litres will be reported as 1 litre.
- A rough average size of a window of 1200mm x 1300mm.
- A rough average size of a door of 750mm x 2000mm.
- We assume that emulsion (vinyl or matt) paint for walls and ceilings will cover about 10m2. Some are more some are less.
- We assume that gloss paint for doors and windows will cover about 14m2. Some are more some are less.
- An hourly rate for decorators of £35.
- We have had to make informed estimates for the time take taken to do certain painting tasks, like a window or a m2 of wall.